Park and garden at Château Sainte Sabine
History of the Chateau
The original building was a monastery, home to the priests established in Lassey by St Martin; it was destroyed in the 9th century. From then until the 12th century, the village belonged to various Lords and subsequently to a number of members of the House of France.
In 1625, the de Messey family found itself with no direct sovereign and decided to build a chateau to rule as lords over the local area. Gaspard de Messey started the building work in 1630. He bought the plot of land called The Warrens so that he would be master of both sides of the river and able to extend his area of enclosed land. By exchange, he obtained the Presbytery adjacent to the cemetery so that he could align the courtyard and make it separate. He bought a number of houses, with a garden and an orchard, along the road. Only the garden exists today, named after the former owner of the houses, a Monsieur Jacotot.
The de Messey lords are the only ones to have actually lived in the chateau.
The de Barbuat family occupied the chateau in the 20th century. In 1960, the chateau and park were sold to a Monsieur Bourgeois, who fitted it out as a private house.
Time then stood still at the chateau for three decades – period furniture, suits of armour, guard room, stained glass windows, etc. Not forgetting the naturalised wolves, the guardians of this historic place.
Susanne and Jean-Louis Bottigliero took over on 25 November 2011 and, after impressive renovation work, the chateau re-opened on 21 June 2012.
A haven of green
At the Chateau Sainte Sabine, nature is everywhere. An 8-hectare park surrounds the hotel, providing an animal reserve for deer, mallard ducks, hares and other woodland creatures.
Flowers, morning dew, and birdsong combine to create a calm, soothing atmosphere in all the hotel’s rooms and suites.
Travellers are bound to enjoy strolling in this haven of green, breathing in the wonderful scents.